ICD-10 Code - Osteochondrosis of the Spine (M42)
Lumbar spine osteochondrosis is a degenerative-dystrophic lesion in the spine. This lumbosacral spine disease is one of the most common in modern medicine. In both women and men, the disease can cause temporary disability as well as disability.
Lumbar spine osteochondrosis has a chronic course, with a period of deterioration.
Sources of the disease
Medicine does not mention clear reasons that can cause such a disease in both women and men. So we can conclude that the disease is multifactorial. The most popular theory regarding the development of the disease is a systematic process of tension of the muscular system, abnormal muscle tension, as a result of which the vertebral segments are overloaded, their blood circulation deteriorates. As a result, degeneration of the intervertebral discs, which leads to the appearance of osteochondrosis of the lumbar spine.
The following causes of the disease in women and men are no less common:
- Causes underlying endocrine and metabolic disorders.
- Causes consisting of an inherited predisposition to the disease.
- Causes arising from microtrauma as well as autoimmune disorders.
- Causes associated with pathological processes of internal organs.
Most predisposed to the development of lumbar spine osteochondrosis are people who have suffered a back injury or who lead a sedentary lifestyle.
Symptoms of the disease
Medicine will highlight the following symptoms, manifested in varying degrees of the disease in both women and men:
- 1 degree.You may notice the manifestation of pain, which causes irritation of the nerve endings. There are local, acute or dull symptoms of low back pain. Very often the pain appears in another place and is called reflex. The following symptoms may also be present: impaired circulation of limbs and ligaments, as well as internal organs. As a result of impaired blood circulation, symptoms of pain appear in the area where the ligaments connect to the bone. Seals are also seen in this area. There are symptoms of pain in the lumbosacral segment, which radiate to the lower extremities. The functioning of the urinary system may be disturbed.
- 2 degrees.You may notice symptoms of discomfort in the lumbar spine, constant muscle fatigue.
- 3 degrees.There are symptoms associated with radicular syndrome. Such symptoms caused by radicular syndrome consist of a violation of the sensitivity of the affected area. Symptoms associated with radicular syndrome do not appear immediately. In its onset the symptoms are expressed with hypersensitivity, burning, tingling sensation. Then, there is a feeling of numbness, up to a complete loss of sensitivity. Symptoms associated with radicular syndrome cause motor system dysfunction, including paralysis and atrophy. Also, the symptoms associated with radicular syndrome are the appearance of pain, which is localized along the length of the legs. In addition to the signs with radicular syndrome, there is a violation of the sensitivity and motor function of the lower extremities.
- 4 degrees.The pain symptoms with radicular syndrome are less pronounced. At the same time, the range of motion of the spine is limited.
The doctor makes a diagnosis based on the diagnosis. MRI, ECG, ultrasound and other studies will help to establish the correct diagnosis. You should also have an X-ray examination.
How to treat lumbar osteochondrosis in women and men? Lumbar spine osteochondrosis involves a complex treatment that lasts a long time. As a rule, such a treatment works in an advanced stage of the disease, when there are multiple extensions or intervertebral hernias.
Treatment should be chosen and performed strictly individually in each case.
Treatment of muscle spasms should be carried out with the help of drugs - muscle relaxants.
Medicine determines that treatment with muscle relaxants, along with the use of NSAIDs, physiotherapy sessions and massage, contribute to a faster recovery.
Blockade as medicine
Blockade in osteochondrosis consists of injections of drugs that are injected into the affected area. Treatment with a method such as blockage will help in immediate pain relief. The blockade consists of local anesthetic drugs.
Treatment in such a way as novocaine blockade is the most popular in modern medicine. To relieve pain, blockade is performed once every three days. It can also be noted that blockade for osteochondrosis is the safest method of treatment.
Blockade, in general, does not cause side effects, because the effect of the drug is local. It is possible to carry out treatment with such a method as blockade indefinitely, with any exacerbation of the disease.
In addition, to relieve pain, blockade is used to eliminate inflammation, swelling, and improve metabolism. To prolong the therapeutic effect, a method such as blockade should include several medications at the same time (novocaine and corticosteroids). Blocking should be performed by an experienced physician.
Proper nutrition is the key to health
In the case of osteochondrosis, as in any other disease, the diet should be balanced, low in calories, rich in various vitamins and minerals.
The diet of women and men should be rich in collagen, which acts as a chondroprotector.
Jelly and aspic fish are saturated with this ingredient. If you include jelly meat in your diet, you can significantly improve the condition of connective tissue. Also, the diet should include a sufficient amount of fluid intake to maintain the condition of the tissues in the intervertebral discs.
There is a different diet for people with osteochondrosis. Which is appropriate for each specific case will be determined by the attending physician.
Bracelets as a means of prevention
A tool such as bracelets has been known since the time of our parents. The bracelet is used both to improve well-being and to maintain the figure. You can spin the circle both at home and in the gym. The most important advantage is the availability of gymnastics and simplicity.
But treatment with such a method as a ring has its drawbacks. Before twisting the ring, you should consult a doctor. If there is a hernia of the lumbar region, it is forbidden to twist the circle. If a diagnosis of thoracic spine is made, preventative exercises can be done.
If you turn the wheel on a healthy person from osteochondrosis, you can improve the function of the back muscles. Also, the hoop contributes to the active functioning of the vertebral section, which is an excellent prophylactic.
In summary, it is worth noting that if you rotate the circle with lumbar osteochondrosis, the entire load falls on the affected area. Bracelets can cause pain relief, but after a while it will come back again and with greater force.
Hirudotherapy as a method for treating osteochondrosis
It is possible and feasible to cure the disease with hirudotherapy! Caterpillars have a healing effect on the human body. Due to the action of caterpillars, a decrease in painful manifestations is observed, the therapeutic effect of drugs consumed and physical education is increased, and the patient's recovery process is accelerated.
Treatment with the application of a caterpillar is the beneficial effect of the enzyme produced by it. Such an enzyme is secreted with the help of caterpillar saliva.
During treatment, the doctor places a caterpillar on the affected area. The caterpillar bites through the upper layer of the skin, releasing its saliva into it, which can cure thrombosis, prevent blood clotting, and speed up the biochemical process. Also, the action of the caterpillar is aimed at strengthening the walls of blood vessels, as well as their expansion.
Medical caterpillars are completely sterile. To cure a caterpillar disease, you need to follow the sequence of actions - the duration of the first two sessions of treatment with a caterpillar lasts no more than thirty minutes. The third session involves the presence of a caterpillar in the body for an hour. The wound after the caterpillar is not treated with anything and after the removal of the caterpillar the patient is forbidden to lie on his back. This is necessary to prevent bleeding.
It is possible to cure osteochondrosis in both women and men with ten procedures, between which you should take a five-day break.
And the most important rule: a timely visit to a doctor will help to avoid negative consequences.